Saturday, May 7, 2011

ENCHILADA CASSEROLE

This is one of the first meals I made for Nate.

We were dating. He was poor. He was living on ramen. I felt bad for him. My roommate gave me this recipe and ranted about how her brothers begged there mother to make it for them all the time. She taught me how to make it. I made him a large casserole dish and brought it over that night.

The next day the dish was empty.

1 1/2 lbs of hamburger
1 cup chopped onions
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chili powder
3/4 cup flour
3 cups of hot water
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
12 white corn tortilla's, torn into rough four inch pieces
3/4 pound of shredded cheddar cheese

Cook haburger and onions in a skillet, until hamburger is browned. Add seasonings; oregano, chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper. Then add flour. Once all is combined, add the hot water stiring slowly. Add tomato sauce. Stir until thickened. Then pull sauce off the stove. Then pull out a casserole dish and layer like a lasagna. First sauce. Then follow this pattern, torn corn tortilla pieces, then sauce, then cheese. You should get three layers ending with cheese. Cook in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, avacados, sweet corn, or anything else you like.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Becky H said...

Mm, your pictures all look delicious. It's been a long time since I made Mexican lasagna, maybe I'll try this recipe instead next time I feel the craving.

Kristine said...

Isn't it the best! I forgot all about that. Hmmm...guess I should pat myself on the back for helping you out... ;-)